U.S. Citizen Services (2024)

Emergency Information for American Citizens

The State Department advises U.S. citizens overseas to exercise increased caution because of increased tensions around the world and the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations, or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests.

Emergency Assistance

Local Emergency Information and Contacts

Alerts for U.S. Citizens

Read alerts for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Citizen Services

Emergency Assistance Emergency Financial Assistance Federal Programs Local Resources Passports

Emergency contact information

In an emergency involving an American citizen in Sweden, you can reach us via the main Embassy telephone number: +46 (0) 8 783 5300 (if dialing from the U.S.: 011 46 (0) 8 783 5300). Please note that this number is NOT for visa inquiries.

Emergency Assistance

International Parental Child AbductionArrest of a U.S. CitizenDeath of a U.S. CitizenVictims of Crime

International Parental Child Abduction

International parental child abduction is the removal or retention of a child outside their country of habitual residence in breach of another parent or guardian’s custody rights.

Assistance in child abduction cases

Arrest of a U.S. Citizen

One of the highest priorities of the Department of State and U.S. embassies and consulates abroad is to provide assistance to U.S. citizens incarcerated abroad. The Department of State is committed to ensuring fair and humane treatment for U.S. citizens imprisoned overseas. We stand ready to assist incarcerated citizens and their families within the limits of our authority in accordance with international, domestic, and foreign law. More information available at Travel.State.gov.

Legal assistance information

Death of a U.S. Citizen

When an U.S. citizen dies abroad, the Bureau of Consular Affairs assists the family and friends. The Bureau of Consular Affairs attempts to locate and inform the next-of-kin of the U.S. citizen’s death. The Bureau of Consular Affairs provides information on how to make arrangements for local burial or return of the remains to the United States. The disposition of remains is subject to U.S. and local (foreign) law, U.S. and foreign customs requirements, and the foreign country facilities, which are often vastly different from those in the United States.

Assistance after the death of U.S. citizen

Victims of Crime

When a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries. It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.

Help for U.S. victims of crime

View Local Information

Emergency Financial Assistance

Contacting HomeWiring Money DirectlySending Money through the U.S. Department of StateRepatriation Loans

Contacting Home

U.S. citizens in need of emergency financial assistance while abroad should first attempt to contact their family, friends, banking institution, or employer. Our American Citizen Services unit can assist in this effort, if necessary.

Help for contacting families

Wiring Money Directly

Use a commercial money transfer service, such as Western Union or MoneyGram. , to wire money overseas. Money transfer cost comparison tools online can help you identify the best option. The person receiving the money will need to present proof of identity such as a passport.

Be wary of International Financial Scams

Sending Money through the U.S. Department of State

When the commercial options listed above are not available or feasible, family or friends may send funds via the U.S. Department of State for delivery to a destitute U.S. citizen abroad at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The U.S. Department of State assesses a $30 fee to establish an account and transfer funds.

How the Department of State can help

Repatriation Loans

Destitute U.S. citizens may be eligible for a loan from the U.S. government to travel to the United States. Repatriation loans must eventually be paid back to the U.S. government. Your U.S. passports will be limited at the time the loan is issued and in most cases you will not be issued a new passport until the loan is paid in full. Contact us for more information.

Learn about repatriation loans

Consular Affairs (CA) is the public face of the Department of State for millions of people around the world. We provide many services, and the most common are listed below.

Visas to the U.S.

Travelers to the U.S. can get visa information and guidance.


U.S. Passport Services

U.S. Citizens overseas can renew passports, replace passports, or apply for new passports.


Notarial Services

Anyone can take advantage of our notarial services.


Federal Programs

Social SecurityApplicants Who Do Not Have a Social Security NumberVeterans AffairsInternal Revenue ServiceSelective ServiceVoting

Social Security

If you reside in Sweden and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Norway. For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: Norway .For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

Service Around the World

Applicants Who Do Not Have a Social Security Number

Please note that according to U.S. law (26 USC 6039E) applicants for U.S. passports must provide a correct Social Security Number on the passport application. Failure to provide a Social Security Number if you have been issued one can result in a $500 fine enforced by the IRS. If you have never been issued a Social Security Number, write zeros in the boxes and fill out and send us the original affidavit below.

Information for applicants missing a SSN

Veterans Affairs

Service members, Veterans, and their beneficiaries can apply for benefits services on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website at www.va.gov. The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) can also be of assistance if Veterans and beneficiaries have questions about benefits and services.

Department of Veterans Affairs website

Internal Revenue Service

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder), you are responsible for filing U.S. federal income tax returns while abroad. You will find useful information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website, such as Frequently Asked Questions about taxes or how to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you are a U.S. government employee working overseas, you cannot claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. For additional information, visit the IRS website.

Useful information for filing your taxes

Selective Service

U.S. embassies and consulates overseas assist the Selective Service System with its registration program abroad.

Learn about the Selective Service System


Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to www.FVAP.gov to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form then return it to your local election office in the United States. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it’s easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices.

Information about overseas voting

Local Resources

The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsem*nt by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Legal assistanceMedical AssistanceDriving in Sweden and the United StatesInformation on U.S. CustomsTravel in SwedenFinding People in the United States

Legal assistance

The American Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or the firms whose names appear in the information found via this link. Further, the Embassy may not recommend or otherwise endorse a specific attorney, nor can it provide any advice itself on legal matters.

Access a list of local lawyers

Medical Assistance

Please note that in emergencies, dial 112. For medical conditions that are not emergencies during non-working hours call: Medical Advice Center 1177 for health care advice (in English). Nurses will answer your call, give you advice or refer you to the closest medical facility if needed.

Find local hospitals and health facilities

Driving in Sweden and the United States

Bearers of a Swedish driver’s license may drive in the U.S. for a certain period of time on their valid Swedish driver’s license. The exact length depends on the individual state, but it usually ranges from one month up to one year.

Drivers licence requirements

Information on U.S. Customs

The following is information in relation to the most frequently asked questions in regards to U.S. Customs regulations. For additional information please use the keyword search engine on the U.S. Customs website , or contact the nearest U.S. Customs office (located in Frankfurt), tel. +49 69 7535 3876, fax +49 69 7535 3780. Office hours are between 9AM and 6PM.

U.S. customs FAQs

Travel in Sweden

It is important to visit the Department of State’s Travel website to review Country Information, Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings before you travel. The Department of State’s travel website contains information to help you make decision about where, or sometimes, if to travel. The website includes information on passports, visas, immunizations, medical information, additional fees, and conditions abroad that may affect your safety and security.

Review Sweden country information

Finding People in the United States

It is difficult to trace someone in the United States when their whereabouts are completely unknown as there are no central records of names and addresses available to the public. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to provide you with information on U.S. Citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or foreign nationals who travel to or reside in the United States. These records are protected by the Privacy Act and cannot be divulged to third parties.

Tips for locating someone in the U.S.

Child and Family Matters

AdoptionBirthsMarriageChildren's Issues FAQs


Intercountry adoption is the process by which you adopt a child from a different country than your own through permanent legal means and bring that child to your home country to live with you permanently.

Information about intercountry adoptions


A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act. U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

Filing a consular report of birth abroad


U.S. embassy and consulate personnel cannot perform marriages in foreign countries. Depending on the law of the foreign country, local civil or religious officials generally perform marriages. Marriages performed overseas are considered valid in the country where they take place if they are entered into in accordance with local law. Recognition of the validity of marriages performed abroad depends on the laws of the place in which the marriage is to be recognized.

Overseas marriage information

Children's Issues FAQs

If you have questions concerning custody and visitation rights you should speak to a lawyer.The American Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or the firms whose names appear in the information found via this link. Further, the Embassy may not recommend or otherwise endorse a specific attorney, nor can it provide any advice itself on legal matters.

Information about children's issues


Study in the U.S.A.Learn about unique U.S. higher education opportunities.Learn More

You May Be Interested


2023 Country Report on Human Rights Practices


Apply for the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellowship!


How to get a student visa

Emergency Assistance

U.S. Citizens with Emergencies

Please call: +46 8 783 5300

Outside of Office Hours, contact: +46 8 783 5300

Outside of Sweden: 011 46 8 783 5300

Emergency Contact – All LocationsGet Travel AlertsInternational Parental Child AbductionArrest of a U.S. CitizenDeath of a U.S. CitizenVictims of CrimeEmergency Financial Assistance

U.S. Citizen Services (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Rueben Jacobs

Last Updated:

Views: 5517

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (57 voted)

Reviews: 80% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Rueben Jacobs

Birthday: 1999-03-14

Address: 951 Caterina Walk, Schambergerside, CA 67667-0896

Phone: +6881806848632

Job: Internal Education Planner

Hobby: Candle making, Cabaret, Poi, Gambling, Rock climbing, Wood carving, Computer programming

Introduction: My name is Rueben Jacobs, I am a cooperative, beautiful, kind, comfortable, glamorous, open, magnificent person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.